Monday, July 11, 2011

Crochet

If you know my wife Christi at all, you know that she's a creative juggernaut. One of her favorite things to make for people are blankets, pot holder, and other things by crocheting them. If you don't know, crochet is a way of making fabric from yarn, string or whatever with a hook. It's like the more well known knitting, but with only one "stick" and the process is totally different... but there's yarn involved.
Like I was saying, Christi makes things by crocheting them. You can go here to see a sample of her work.

Impressive right?

Christi has made things for many people in the past and it ends up being from "both of us" even though I didn't do a damn thing except maybe help wind the yarn up into a ball. I've felt bad because I haven't really been able to contribute to the awesome hand made presents. My good friends Dave and Mary are expecting their first kid. The baby shower was held over the weekend so naturally a couple of weeks ago, Christi started on the kids blanket.

Dave and Mary are very special friends and I wanted to help somehow. I love them so much that I learned how to crochet. That's right. Crochet.

I started with this...

I said "fuck" a lot trying to learn that little bit. My hand cramped up. I kept messing it up. I spent a good half an hour on one part and Christi pulled it all apart because I didn't do it right. It was hell.

Then I got good at it.
Look! I'm going so fast, it's blurry!
Ended up with this. My part of the blanket.

And then when Christi put it all together...
I only did one of those stripes. I couldn't imagine doing the whole thing.

I'm kind of proud of myself! (it's like I'm taking a picture of some food I cooked and posting it huh?!)
Christi hates me a little because she said I did so well for my first time. I don't know that I'll crochet again. I definitely have a new appreciation for it though. It's not easy. I just hope the unborn kid likes that blanket. He'll probably just puke or poop on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment